The perfect treats for you and your kids to make this Halloween!! Dont forget to tag us with your creations #zipandzoe #babymel
- 3 Apples
- 4-5 large strawberries
- 24 edible large googly eyes (available from most supermarkets)
- Icing sugar
- Lemon Juice
Simply take a few apples (the greener the better!) and slice them into quarters and cover them in lemon juice to stop them going brown.
- Cut into the apple piece on the skin side, to create a mouth for your monster. Cut in a wedge shape, joining the corners at the end together like the edge of a mouth.
- Boil a kettle and make a very small amount of icing sugar – enough to stick some items to your monster. Also don’t make it too runny so pour the water in small amounts so it’s still a bit hard and shapes can be formed from it.
- Slice your strawberries into flat pieces, the thinner the better!
- Place your strawberry slice into the gap in your apple – to create a tongue with the end sticking out. If your worried about the strawberry moving about then you can stick it down with a little bit of icing sugar on the back.
- Stick your googly eyes onto your apple slice with icing sugar, placing a small blob on the back of each eye and sticking them to the top of the apple. Your monster might even have 3 eyes!
- You can also the icing sugar to create some teeth! Take small amounts of icing sugar and make as many teeth as you want sticking them to the inside of outside of the mouth area. Remember monsters are meant to be scary, so they might have some teeth and eyes bigger than the others!
- Green Jelly
- Gummy Halloween sweets – worms, dinosaurs of Halloween specific sweets
- Small plastic witches cauldron’s
Make your green jelly in a bowl – remember it takes a few hours to set so make sure you make this with plenty of time of serving.
Once the jelly has set, spoon it out into the cauldron, mixing it with a spoon so it’s no longer set properly.
Mix in your gummy Halloween sweets and treats!
Put back in the fridge until serving and enjoy!
- 175g (6oz) margarine
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g (5oz) self-raising flour sifted
- 50g (1¾oz) of cocoa
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Cupcake cases
- Mini chocolate chips
- Chocolate icing
- Match sticks/strawberry laces (something to make the spiders legs)
- Edible small googly eyes
- Pre heat the oven at 180 degrees/Gas mark 4.
- Set out baking trays with cup cake cases inside them ready to add your mixture too later.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar until the texture is fluffy.
- Beat the eggs separately and then gradually add them to the mixture.
- Add in the flower a tablespoon at a time, folding it in figures of 8.
- Mix in the cocoa power, baking power and vanilla essence.
- Once you are happy with the mixture, divide it into cup cake cases.
- Put in the oven at 180 degrees to bake for approximately 25minutes.
- Once brown on top, take them out and put them on a cooling rack to cool down.
Paste the chocolate icing onto your cakes, this could be done by spreading it with a knife or using a piping bag.
Cover the icing in hundreds of chocolate chips giving the cakes a bumpy surface.
Drape your strawberry laces/break your matchsticks in half and insert into the side of the cakes to create 8 legs for your spider.
Finally use any left over icing sugar to stick on your googly eyes!